CNN analyst Areva Martin accused radio host David Webb of 'white privilege.' Webb is black
During a guest radio appearance, a CNN legal analyst said the show's host, who is black, has benefited from "white privilege."
The segment aired Tuesday during a SiriusXM show hosted by David Webb, who is also a contributor at Fox News. His guest during the segment was Areva Martin, a civil rights attorney and CNN legal analyst.
According to a clip posted to Twitter, Webb details his rise in the media, saying he always saw his qualifications as a more important issue than his color.
"Well, David, that’s a whole 'nother long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing that people of color don’t have the privilege of," said Martin.
When Webb asks how he benefits, Martin said it's "by virtue of being a white male."
Webb then scolds Martin for making the assumption, going through his qualifications ultimately leading him to Fox News "where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work."
"Yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. That’s actually insulting," Webb said.
Martin apologized, noting "my people gave me wrong information."
A spokesperson for Martin declined to comment. CNN and Fox News could not be immediately reached for comment.
It was a rough day for author and CNN legal analyst Areva Martin on Tuesday.
Martin accused Sirius XM radio and Fox Nation host David Webb of “white privilege” during a segment on a radio program before he broke the news.
The embarrassing moment occurred during a discussion about experience being more important than race when determining whether or not someone is qualified for a particular job.
“I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one. I never considered my color the issue, I considered my qualifications the issue,” Webb said.
“That’s a whole, another long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of,” said Martin – who also hosts CBS’ “Face the Truth.”
A dumbfounded Webb asked, “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?”
Martin responded, “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege.”
The Fox Nation host then explained that he was actually black.
“I stand corrected,” Martin said.
Webb scolded Martin for running with an “assumption" and she then blamed her team for providing inaccurate information.
“That’s actually insulting,” Webb said.
“It is and I apologize,” Martin replied. “I was given wrong information.”
Martin’s spokesperson declined a request for comment.
Ohio State transfer Tate Martell picks Miami over Louisville football
Cross another name off the Louisville football program's wish list: Ohio State quarterback transfer Tate Martell announced Tuesday night that he'll be transferring to Miami.
Martell was considering Miami, West Virginia and Louisville as possible destinations, according to a report from 247sports.com published Sunday. The Cardinals have been active in the market for a transfer quarterback since they hired coach Scott Satterfield last month. They were even expected to host Martell for a visit Wednesday. But before he arrived in town, Martell made his decision.
His story is a winding one: He arrived at Ohio State in 2017 as a four-star quarterback recruit, the No. 2 dual-threat prospect in the class. He redshirted in 2017 behind J.T. Barrett and finished with 269 passing yards in backup duty behind Dwayne Haskins in 2018.
More coverage: Who are the transfer QB options for Louisville?
Haskins has announced he will declare for the NFL draft. In response, the Buckeyes brought in five-star quarterback transfer Justin Fields, the No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2018, from Georgia. Martell's name appeared in the NCAA transfer database soon thereafter.
Martell announced his decision on social media and wrote, "right back like we never left... I’M A HURRICANE!"
Former Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell is taking his talents to South Beach.
The dual-threat freshman tweeted early Wednesday morning that he intends to transfer to the University of Miami, and he’s not the only player from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High School who will call The U home.
Martell initially said he had no intention of leaving the Buckeyes when highly touted Georgia transfer Josh Fields came to Columbus, but he quickly changed his mind.
Former teammate Brevin Jordan, a tight end, already attends the school, and safety Bubba Bolden announced his intention to transfer from USC earlier this month.
The three were pictured together in Martell’s tweet.
However, Martell was the biggest get for new head coach Manny Diaz, hired earlier this month, and new offensive coordinator Dan Enos.
Martell was 23-of-28 for 269 yards and a touchdown while backing up Dwayne Haskins on Ohio State. He also rushed for 128 yards on 22 carries with two touchdowns.
Martell can file for a waiver, but otherwise will have to sit out the 2019 season. He will have three years of eligibility left when he gets back on the field.
He will have two quality targets out of the gate, with Jordan catching 32 passes for 287 yards and four touchdowns last season, while Thomas amassed 35 receptions for 563 yards and three touchdowns.
“We are deeply saddened to report that Mason Lowe passed away this evening following injuries sustained at the PBR event in Denver,” CEO Sean Gleason said in a statement. “The entire PBR and National Western sports family extends our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to Mason’s wife Abbey and his family.”
Lowe, 25, was ranked No. 18 in the world.
A witness told Denver’s CBS4 that Lowe was bucked off the bull he was riding, and the animal then stepped on his chest. Lowe got up, took a few steps and then collapsed, the report said.
Lowe grew up in Exeter, Missouri — a small town of fewer than 800 people — and started riding animals when he was just 3 years old, according to the PBR website.
Eschewing high school rodeos, Lowe began competing in amateur events at the age of 15, per the Professional Bull Riders. A 2016 profile on the organization’s website described him as a bull rider who couldn’t enjoy himself if he wasn’t pushing himself to limits. Lowe pursued the wildest, rankest bulls he could find, according to that profile.
Austin Shirley met Lowe rodeoing eight or nine years ago through a mutual friend.
“Hell, he was a cowboy’s cowboy,” Shirley told The Denver Post in a message. “He could rope, ride and cover any bull. He never forgot where he came from (when) he made it big time and never forgot his roots.
“He was just an all-around great guy and someone you were proud to call a friend.”
Shirley said people know the risks when they get into bull riding, “but you put that into the back of your mind.”
“Whether you met him once or saw him every day, the whole rodeo community feels this,” he said. “And it hurts.”
In a September 2017 interview on the PBR website, Lowe described the mindset it takes to ride a bull for a living.
“You can’t really think about it when you’re out there,” Lowe told the organization. “Once you start thinking about what the bull’s going to do next, that’s when you’re a second too late.”
A professional bull rider died Tuesday night after he suffered injuries during an event at the National Western Stock Show in Colorado.
Mason Lowe, 25, was set to compete in the rodeo show at the Denver Coliseum when he was seriously injured, the Professional Bull Riders Association said in a statement. The organization did not provide details of how Lowe was injured.
"We are deeply saddened to report that Mason Lowe passed away this evening following injuries sustained at the PBR event in Denver," PBR president Sean Gleason said in a statement. "The entire PBR and National Western sports family extends our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to Mason’s wife Abbey and his family.”
Lowe, who was from Exeter, Missouri, was ranked 18th in the world and had been a professional bull rider more than seven years, KDVR reported. He earned nearly $10,000 in competitions this year prior to his death.
The 25-year-old’s love for riding began when he was 3, the first time he was placed on an animal, he told PBR in a 2017 article. He rose to fame in the sport starting when he was 18 and eventually being ranked 14 in the world at a point in his career.
Lowe also spoke about having his friends and family cheer him on at a show in Colorado.
“They get to watch me on TV every week, but it’s a lot different when you get to see it in person,” Lowe said in 2017. "It's kind of like a big rock show on wheels with bull riding attached to it."
Rihanna sues her father Ronald over use of their surname 'Fenty'
Published 5 Hours Ago Updated 5 Hours Ago
Ronald Fenty and business partner Moses Joktan Perkins run Fenty Entertainment LLC, which Rihanna says is nothing to do with her. In the lawsuit, she accuses the partners of exploiting her fame and attempting to connect the name with "resort hotel services." It also alleges they negotiated a deal for Rihanna to play 15 shows in Latin America for $15 million, which she had not authorized.
Rihanna — full name Robyn Rihanna Fenty — launched makeup line Fenty Beauty in 2017 and it reportedly sold $100 million worth of products in its first 40 days. The name is also used for Rihanna's lingerie brand, Savage x Fenty, which was released last May, and she also has a footwear and apparel line with Puma. Her first collaboration with the sportswear brand helped its sales reach almost $1 billion in its fourth quarter reported in February 2016. She also owns the trademarks Fenty Glow, House of Fenty and Fenty Fragrance, among others, according to the suit.
"Although Mr Fenty is Rihanna's father, he does not have, and never has had, authority to act on Rihanna's behalf, nor has he ever been authorized to use her name, intellectual property or publicity rights," states a court documentdated January 15, 2019, obtained by entertainment website Variety.
It adds that the defendants have been sent cease and desist notices to stop claiming they are connected to the Fenty name, but they have continued "to falsely state and advertise to third parties that the company is affiliated with Rihanna and the Fenty brand."
An undated press release on the Fenty Entertainment website describes the company as "a groundbreaking entertainment company, focused on cultivating new talent and developing TV and media platforms for promoting brand development."
Along with Rihanna, the plaintiffs are her two companies Roraj Trade LLC and Combermere Entertainment Properties.
Fenty Entertainment had not responded to CNBC's request for comment at the time of publication.
Dad Better Have My Money! Rihanna Is Suing Her Father For $75 Million
In the past few years, Rihanna has built a business empire, thanks to the success of her Fenty brand of products. From her wildly successful makeup line, to her sexy and inclusive lingerie line, the Bajan beauty put her family’s name on the map.
But now, the popularity of the singer’s surname may be at the center of a growing rift in the Fenty clan.
According to documents obtained by TMZ, Rih is suing her father, Ronald Fenty, and his partner, Moses Joktan Perkins, for allegedly using the Fenty name to launch several ventures, including a talent development company called Fenty Entertainment.
While it may seem like a no brainer for Rihanna’s dad to use his own last name for his businesses, there’s just one problem: Rihanna legally owns the Fenty name after trademarking it to protect her own business ventures, including her Fenty Beauty line.
Rihanna’s lawsuit also argues that her father and his partner claimed to represent her and attempted to book 15 performances in Latin America for $15 million without her permission.
TMZ notes that Rih has sent several cease and desist letters to her father and his business partner, but he has apparently continued to infringe on her trademark, so she’s taking him to court.
So far, Rihanna is not only seeking an injunction to keep her father and his partner from using the Fenty name for commercial purposes, she’s also asking for monetary damages in the amount of $75 million.
Tiger Woods will make his 2019 debut at Torrey Pines for Farmers Insurance Open
As expected, Tiger Woods will make his 2019 debut in the Farmers Insurance Open at his beloved seaside Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. The tournament announced Woods' commitment Wednesday.
The tournament begins Jan. 24.
Torrey Pines in a favorite stomping ground for Woods, who has started most of his campaigns there dating back to 2006. Woods, who often attended the Andy Williams San Diego Open at Torrey Pines with his father back in his childhood days, has won the Farmers Insurance Open on seven occasions, the most recent coming in 2013.
Woods also won the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines with a broken left leg and severe ligament damage in his left knee. It was his most recent of 14 triumphs in major championships.
Woods, who turned 43 last month, is No. 12 in the official world golf rankings. He last played in the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas in December, where he finished 17th in the 18-man field. Before that, he lost The Match in Las Vegas to Phil Mickelson on Thanksgiving weekend.
Making his return to the game following spinal fusion surgery in April 2017, Woods’ capped his remarkable 2017-18 wraparound PGA Tour season by winning The Tour Championship in Atlanta, his most recent of 80 Tour titles and his first victory on the PGA Tour since 2013. He had six other top-6 finishes, including a tie for sixth in the British Open and a second in the PGA Championship.
Woods played 18 events last season – the most since he played 19 in 2012. He also played in the Ryder Cup, The Match and the Hero World Challenge. In the Bahamas, Woods, who will captain the U.S. squad in the Presidents Cup in December, said he won’t play as much this season.
Woods has not unveiled his 2018-19 schedule. Currently, Woods said he’s committed to playing in five events in addition to the Farmers Insurance Open – the Genesis Open, which is run by and benefits his foundation, and the four major championships.
Woods joins a star-studded field that includes defending champion Jason Day, current world No. 1 and reigning FedExCup champion Justin Rose, 2017 Farmers winner Jon Rahm, Xander Schauffele, Rory McIlroy, Tony Finau, Rickie Fowler, Marc Leishman and Jordan Spieth.
Tiger Woods will be back in action next weekend.
Golf Channel's Ryan Lavner reports the 43-year-old 14-time major winner has committed to playing the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, CA set to tee off on January 24.
Woods is a seven-time winner at the course, victorious most recently in 2013 when he shot -14 to comfortably head off Brandt Snedeker and Josh Teater by four strokes. Woods also won the tournament in 1999, 2003 and four straight years from 2005 to 2008.
In 2018, Woods finished seven strokes behind winner Jason Day in a tie for 23rd.
Torrey Pines will mark Woods' first tournament of 2018 and his first PGA action since his victory at the season-ending Tour Championship in September.
It was Woods' first win in five years and gave him 80 on his career. He is now two short of Sam Snead's all-time record.