Twitter took shots after Ja Rule's Bucks halftime show. Giannis took shots during it.
Well, it wasn't as disastrous as the Fyre Festival — but then again, few things are.
Rapper Ja Rule, one of the masterminds (to use the term extremely generously) behind the infamous music fest debacle in the Bahamas, was trending on Twitter Saturday night after his Milwaukee Bucks halftime show failed to "Mesmerize" the crowd.
Sporting a Ray Allen Bucks jersey, Ja Rule was booked for the team's " '90s Night" — even though everyone, Ja Rule included, would argue he's not a '90s artist.
"They said this is '90s night, so they brought out a 2000s artist," Ja Rule, who had his biggest hits in the early aughts, told the Milwaukee crowd at Fiserv Forum with a laugh. "But my album came out in '99 so I guess that counts."
It got more awkward from there. A few moments later, Ja Rule yelled out an "Are we ready?" rallying cry that seemingly failed to "Fyre" up the crowd. "I guess not," Ja Rule replied.
To make matters worse, Giannis Antetokounmpo and some other Bucks players took to the court to fire off practice shots before Ja Rule's show was even over.
Ja Rule's been subjected to a lot of ridicule after both Netflix and Hulu dropped heavily hyped Fyre Festival documentaries last month, so Twitter was eager to mock him once again.
A couple of them referenced Ja Rule's ongoing nemesis 50 Cent.
And you just know someone had to bring up the famous Fyre Festival cheese sandwiches.
Even the Minnesota Timberwolves, who played the Bucks Saturday, took a shot on their official Twitter account.
Ja Rule had a pretty hilarious (and possibly delusional) response to the team, tweeting, "You just jinx yourself talking to the GOD this way ... Your CURSED Now!!!"
A couple of Ja Rule defenders at the game posted their own videos suggesting the reaction wasn't as tepid as the one viral clip would suggest — although these videos show the crowd definitely wasn't ecstatic either.
As for Giannis and the Bucks doing practice shots while Ja Rule was still performing, the rapper suggested on Twitter that this was common practice at NBA halftime shows.
Ja Rule also said the "I guess not" comment wasn't about the crowd, but was because his DJ was having technical issues.
"(The music) didn't come on when it was supposed to but I rocked that (expletive)," Ja Rule said on Twitter. "My win streak continues."
That's debatable, but the Bucks' win streak continued Saturday. The top-ranked team in the NBA beat the Timberwolves, 140-128.
Paul Pogba has seen his long-term future at Manchester United questioned by Gary Neville, with the World Cup winner expected to push for a move elsewhere at some stage.
The France international was acquired by the Red Devils in a record-breaking deal during the summer of 2016.
He was returned to Old Trafford from Juventus, with Jose Mourinho moving to bring a former academy graduate back to familiar surroundings.
The Portuguese was unable to bring the best out of a World Cup-winning midfielder, but has seen Ole Gunnar Solskjaer succeed where he failed.
Pogba has been a talismanic presence under the Norwegian, but is now seeing a return to form spark further questions of his future.
A move was mooted while frustrated under Mourinho, but Neville believes a deal could also be sought by the 25-year-old and his representatives if his current form is maintained and his value continues to increase.
The former United defender told Sky Sports: “To be balanced on Pogba, for two years, £95 million, he gave the club nowhere near enough in terms of performance levels and his contribution.
“In the last two or three months he's playing like the player - to be fair - that they bought for £95 million, and he's an outstanding player when he plays like he is doing at the moment.
“But in the back of my mind the problems that we were witnessing in the first two years will emanate again at some point.
“I think that his agent will be into him and he'll want his next move away, he'll want his next pay off and that's my problem with it and that's the issue I have with it. His commitment to the club has got to be long term and it has got to be at the level that Manchester United paid £95 million for him.
“He's been brilliant, he's been outstanding, but this is only three months of football in the two-and-a-half years from the three seasons so let's keep it in balance.
“If he's playing like this in two years all of us will be sat here saying wonderful, fantastic things. My personal view is that his agent will be into him in the next transfer window, or two or three, and saying 'come on, we need to get over there now, we need to get over to there'.
“That's my worry with him; can he be trusted in the long term?”
Pogba’s current contract with United is due to run until the summer of 2021.
The Red Devils have a 12-month option in that agreement which will likely be triggered if no extension is agreed before that point.
Gerrard signed a four-year deal to become Rangers manager in May last year after quitting the youth role with his boyhood club.
Kuyt, who is expected to be named as Feyenoord's new boss at the end of the season after a successful stint in charge of the Rotterdam club's youth team, says that was allpart of Gerrard's long-term plan.
And he revealed it was Gerrard's decision to take the plunge in Scotland with Rangers last year that has convinced him to give coaching a crack.
BENGALURU: Manchester City centre back Aymeric Laporte has signed a two-year contract extension to extend his stay with the Premier League champions until the end of the 2024-25 season, the club said on Friday.
Laporte, 24, moved to City in January last year from La Liga side Athletic Bilbao for what was then a club-record fee of 57 million pounds (US$74.40 million).
“I could not be happier to commit my long-term future to Manchester City. Since the day I arrived here, I have been made to feel welcome by Pep and all the players,” Laporte told City’s website.
“This club offers me everything I need to improve my game. I’ve already made great strides and I want to continue getting better and better. I want to win silverware and I feel City is the best place to fulfil all my ambitions.”
Bancroft smacks unbeaten 138 on red ball return
Cameron Bancroft made a fine comeback to red ball cricket as he struck an unbeaten 138 for Western Australia in the Sheffield Shield on Sunday.
24 FEBRUARY, 2019 14:28 IST
Western Australia's Cameron Bancroft celebrates after getting to his century against New South Wales in their Sheffield Shield clash on Sunday. - TWITTER @WACA_CRICKET
Cameron Bancroft made an emphatic statement to Australian selectors Sunday by carrying his bat in an unbeaten 138 on his red ball return after a ball-tampering ban, while downplaying any rift with David Warner.
The 26-year-old opener completed his nine-month suspension for cheating in late December and has since played Twenty20 cricket for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League.
But his outing for Western Australia against New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield in Sydney was his maiden first-class match since the infamous 'sandpapergate' in Cape Town almost a year ago that rocked the game.
Bancroft was a measure of concentration and discipline as he played the anchor role to be 73 not out overnight and completed his patient ton on Sunday, smashing eight fours and three sixes in his 358-ball innings as his team collapsed around him. It helped steer Western Australia to 279 all out.
With the Ashes series against England looming this year, it was a timely knock with Australia struggling over the summer to find a consistent Test opener.
The Aussies tried Aaron Finch, Marcus Harris, and Joe Burns to varying degrees of success ahead of the return of regular opener Warner and former Test skipper Steve Smith.
The pair are eligible to play again in late March after their one-year bans for the same ball-tampering incident expire.
In an explosive interview during the Boxing Day Test against India in December, Bancroft alleged it was Warner who asked him to alter the ball in South Africa.
Some pundits suggested he had thrown Warner “under the bus” and that their relationship was now untenable.
But Bancroft insisted they spoke regularly and had been supporting each other. “Yeah, I've spoken to Dave... I think all of us, including Dave, have been really challenged through this period of time,” he told broadcaster ABC on Saturday evening.
“I know that all three of us have really stuck by each other and looked after each other well. I guess moving forward there will be great lessons for all of us, including Dave.
“That's something we've all shared with each other and something I've certainly shared with Dave when we've communicated throughout this entire journey.”
Despite being criticised for the timing of his Boxing Day interview, Bancroft -- who will play for Durham in the English summer to further his Ashes chances -- said he had no regrets.
“There were some really powerful lessons I learned through my journey that I wanted others to connect and to share with,” he said.
“If other people were triggered by that, I guess that's their battle to face.
“But if I was able to touch people through some parts of my journey, and to help them I guess break through (in) their lives, that was my sole intention for that,” Bancroft said.
Burnley goalkeeper Hart attracting MLS interest
But Steffen, 23, is staying put until the summer so there is no immediate need for a replacement.
Hart, 31, could be open to a move across the Atlantic, on loan or permanently, as his Turf Moor chances are limited after being dropped for Tom Heaton.
ITALY are hoping for a successful Six Nations campaign – and there's a new star in their ranks.
Fly-half Ian McKinley made his debut for the Azzurri late in 2017, but his road to international rugby was a long one – as he prepares to face his home country.
Reuters2 McKinley made his debut for Italy in late 2017
Who is Ian McKinley?
BORN in Dublin in 1989, McKinley began his career in rugby at Landsdowne before taking up pro forms with Leinster.
But after just six games for the five-time Pro14 champions, he was forced to retire from rugby union after losing the sight in his left eye after being caught by a stray boot.
After retirement, he headed to Italy to work as a coach, before eventually getting back playing the sport thanks to the help of protective goggles.
Since 2013 he has played for third division side Leonorso Udine, Viadana, Zebre and currently is on the books at Benetton.
As McKinley had never featured for the senior Ireland before his initial retirement, he qualifies for Italy having spent more than three years in their league system.
He made his debut for the Azzurri in November 2017, coming on as a sub against Fiji.
Reuters2 The fly-half is hoping to help Italy to a successful Six Nations campaign
Why does Italy rugby star wear goggles?
THE goggles worn by McKinley help protect his right eye from injury.
On his comeback, he told the Guardian how an opponent twice gouged at his good eye, prompting him to take up the protective eyewear.
He said: "I don’t want that to be the main point but [the gouging incident is] actually the reason I wear the goggles. I think it’s important that people know that.
"I’m happy when people refer to me as Ian McKinley, they don’t refer to me as ‘the goggle guy’ because maybe that’s what it was like at the start."
HAMPTON, Ga. — As the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series gets into full swing, the concept of a "Big Three" might be defunct.
At least that's what Martin Truex Jr. thinks.
Last season, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick won eight races each, and Truex added four as the so-called "Big Three" grabbed the trophies in 20 of the 36 points races in NASCAR's premier series.
All three drivers qualified for the Championship 4 race at Homestead-Miami Speedway, only to lose the title to late bloomer Joey Logano.
"Unfortunately, yeah, I believe that's correct," Truex said with a wry smile during a media session Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, host venue for Sunday's Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 (2 p.m. ET; Fox, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
"Again, it's all speculation. I don't know until we get going. You're still going to have teams figure it out better than others. Whether we're one of those, we'll have to wait and see."
Not only are the new rules designed to keep the cars closer together, but Truex expects the package to accentuate the unique characteristics that distinguish one track from the next.
Consequently, what works at one intermediate speedway — Las Vegas, for example — may not be an optimal solution at Texas or Chicagoland.
"Oh, yeah, it'll be different everywhere," predicted Truex, who won eight races during his 2017 championship season. "The package is going to look a little different depending on the track we're at and what we're able to do with it.
"Here (at Atlanta) it's so worn out and so rough and bumpy, it's hard to . . . in order to get through the corners, you kind have to have some air on your car. Next week (at Las Vegas), we'll definitely be drafting — at least that's what everyone is kind of thinking."
The first test of the new package comes Sunday, and to Truex, it's still a vast unknown.
"Nobody has any idea about anything," he said. "I think pretty much all teams had more questions going into practice (Friday) than any time I can remember in the sport, maybe back to when we first ran the Car of Tomorrow (in 2007).
"It was just there were so many questions and so many different ways you can do this. There's so many different options to set the car up aero-wise and different things. A lot of questions and only an hour and 20 minutes of practice, so still a lot to learn.
"We go to Phoenix (a one-mile flat track on March 10), and it's going to be totally different again with more horsepower, so, yeah, we're going to learn a lot through the first five races with the different race tracks and then try to figure it out and go from there."