– Oman’s Ministry of Health confirmed first coronavirus cases in two women who returned from Iran.
– Kuwait and Bahrain report additional cases, increasing the total to five and two, respectively. The new patients in Kuwait are said to have arrived from Mashhad, Iran.
US CDC confirms 53 cases of coronavirus
– The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stated that there are 53 cases of the Covid-19 in the country, as of 24 February.
– Of the 53 cases, 14 are in the country, including two new cases in California. The remaining 39 are citizens repatriated from Diamond Princess cruise ship.
– Iraq confirmed its first coronavirus Covid-19 case in Najaf city.
– Italy reported two more deaths, rising the total to five. The government has put nearly 50,000 people in 11 towns in Lombardy and Veneto under quarantine.
– Afghanistan confirmed its first case of Covid-19 coronavirus.
– South Korea reported 70 new additional cases to total 833.
Iran official states 50 deaths in the country; govt denies claims
– ILNA news agency has quoted a Qom official Ahmad Amiriabadi Farahani as saying that the death toll in the country stood at 50 on 13 February.
– However, the officials have stated on 24 February that death toll has increased 12, including four additional deaths reported today.
– Iran’s Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi has rejected the claims of cover-up. He stated that it was ‘not the time for political confrontations’.
– Farahani denied to retract his statement.
Kuwait, Bahrain confirm first cases
– The Ministry of Health in Bahrain has reported the first coronavirus case – a citizen who returned from Iran.
– Three cases have been confirmed in Kuwait, reported local news agency KUNA, which said that the individuals just returned from Iran.
Diamond Princess update: one more death reported
– Another Japanese passenger, a man in his 80s has died from the Covid-19 coronavirus. The total cases on Diamond Princess is 691 with three deaths.
Iran’s neighbours close borders
– Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Turkey and Afghanistan imposed travel and immigration restrictions on Iran, which was the first to report deaths in the Middle East region.
– Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Armenia also closed their borders with Iran.
Death toll exceeds 2,600; South Korea reports 161 new cases
– Death toll due to Covid-19 coronavirus increased to more than 2,600, as of the end of 23 February.
– The number of confirmed cases rises to more than 79,000, with the cases in Mainland China crossing 77,000.
– South Korea has announced 161 new positive cases of the coronavirus, bringing its total to 763, with seven deaths in the country. The government raised infectious disease alert to the highest.
Italy reports third death and new cases
– Italy has now become the most affected country in Europe with more than 150 Covid-19 cases. The country also reported third death from the new virus.
– Coronavirus ‘hotspot’ towns have been sealed to control the spread. The country also halted public gatherings, including suspension of the Venice carnival.
Israel confirms second case
– An Israeli who returned from the Diamond Princess cruise ship has tested positive, said Sheba Medical Center. This increases the country’s total to two.