March 16, 2019 6:03pm EDTMarch 16, 2019 6:03pm EDTBoxingTwo of the best pound-for-pound fighters in boxing battle for ultimate supremacy when Errol Spence Jr. puts the IBF welterweight title on the line against WBC lightweight champ Mikey Garcia. Sporting News will have live coverage inside AT&T Stadium in Dallas.
ARLINGTON – Mikey Garcia is looking to become a five-division world champion. The only thing standing in his way is one of the best fighters in the entire sport of boxing.
Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs) will clash with IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) at AT&T Stadium on Fox PPV (9 p.m. ET) in a showdown loaded with intrigue. On one hand, you have Garcia, an undefeated four-division champion who is coming off yet another dominant performance when he previously unbeaten Robert Easter Jr. with ease to add the WBC lightweight title to his IBF title. He could have rested on his laurels and remained a dominant force in his weight class. Instead, he dared to be great by calling out one of the most ducked fighters around.
And then there’s Errol Spence Jr. He’s unbeaten and relatively untested. His scintillating power and overall pedigree has elevated the Texan to pound-for-pound status. He’s finished 11 straight opponents and has long sought after the toughest opponents in his division. But they didn’t want a piece of him. Instead, a lightweight came knocking on his door.
It’s a clash of unbeaten fighters who are looking to add to their legacy. While Garcia is daring to be great, Spence is daring him to try.
This is a fight you will not want to miss.
Errol Spence Jr. vs. Mikey Garcia results
Sporting News will provide live coverage inside AT&T Stadium as we inch closer to tonight’s action.
Errol Spence vs. Mikey Garcia fight card
MatchupClassBeltErrol Spence Jr. vs. Mikey GarciaWelterweightIBFDavid Benavidez vs. J’Leon LoveSuper middleweight…Luis Nery vs. McJoe ArroyoBantamweight…Chris Arreola vs. Jean Pierre AugustinHeavyweight…Charles Martin vs. Gregory CorbinHeavyweight…
Errol Spence vs. Mikey Garcia latest news
– In 2008, Manny Pacquiao moved up two weight classes and retired Oscar De La Hoya. SN explains why Mikey Garcia’s “Pacquiao” moment is the fight with Errol Spence.
– Spence and Garcia is a fight many are looking forward to. People could be on the verge of seeing an all-time classic.
– Spence is the most dangerous puncher in the welterweight division, but also the most avoided. Despite the latter, the legend of the Texan continues to only get bigger.
– The consensus is Spence is going to blow through Garcia. Spence shoots the theory down to SN.
– Boxing fans salivate over the thought of Spence taking Keith Thurman, Terence Crawford and Manny Pacquiao. Spence tells SN the odds of those fights happening.
– David Benavidez’s had a sideways journey to get to Saturday’s fight with J’Leon Love. SN goes into what happened and Benavidez explains why it will lead to success.
– The last 13 months haven’t gone the way Benavidez would have liked to go. He tells SN the Love fight is the beginning of the journey back to the super middleweight title.
– Former IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin discusses his thoughts with SN on Anthony Joshua-Deontay Wilder and the road back to getting another shot at the gold.