March 9th 2020 Six die in Italy prison riot
– Six inmates had been killed in a prison riot in Italy, while guards were taken hostage at another jail, indicating the rising unrest in the country’s prisons over coronavirus.
Iran death toll jumps to 237; releases prisoners
– Coronavirus has claimed 237 lives and infected total 7,161 people in Iran, with 595 new infections and 43 deaths in the last 24 hours.
– The country has temporarily released nearly 70,000 prisoners due to the outbreak, said judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi.
Indonesia confirms 13 new cases to total 19
– Indonesia confirmed 13 new cases – 11 nationals and two foreigners, which the country’s total to 19.
UAE cases stand at 59
– With 14 new cases, the UAE confirmed a total of 59 cases, according to state news agency WAM.
Vietnam to temporarily suspend visa-free travel to eight European countries
– Vietnam announced plans to temporarily suspend visa-free travel for citizens from Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, the UK, Germany, France and Spain.
– The move comes after 11 of the country’s 14 new cases had a travel history to Europe. A total of 30 cases have been confirmed in the nation.
Costa Rica cases reach nine
– The total number of Covid-19 cases in Costa Rica increased to nine.
Canada to repatriate citizens onboard Grand Princess
– Canada has arranged a flight to repatriate its citizens onboard the Grand Princess cruise ship.
– The passengers will be taken from San Francisco to the Canadian forces Base Trenton in Ontario and put under quarantine.
Qatar imposes travel ban on 14 countries
– Qatar has temporarily suspended entry of travellers from 14 countries, after the number of cases in the nation increased to 15.
– The ban applies to India, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand.
– The country previously suspended flights to and from Italy.
– Today, the country also announced plans to suspend schools and universities from 10 March.
Philippines declares health emergency
– The Philippines declared a health emergency over fears of community transmission.
– A total of ten cases have been confirmed in the country, including one death.
Cases in India rise to 43
– With new cases reported in Kerala, Jammu & Kashmir, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh, the number of cases in the country increased to 43.
Albania confirms first cases
– Albania confirmed its first Covid-19 cases in a father and son who had recently travelled to Italy.
South Korea reports 69 new cases
– South Korea reported 69 new cases to total 7,382 on Monday. The death toll in the country is 51.
– The rate of rise in new infections is said to have dropped to its lowest in ten days on Sunday.
Death toll jumps to 3,800
– The death toll due to Covid-19 rises to 3,800 including around 3,100 in Mainland China, as of end of 8 March.
– The total number of cases in the world has increased to more than 110,000 in 108 countries around the world. The recoveries currently stand at 61,000.
Wuhan closes 11 makeshift hospitals
– Wuhan has closed 11 of 14 makeshift hospitals as the number of new infections decline, reported state broadcaster CCTV.
UK reports 273 cases and three deaths
– The UK Department of Health and Social Care reported 64 new cases, which represent a 30% rise to total 273.
– Also, the country saw its third Covid-19-related death in a 60-year-old man who had ‘underlying health conditions’.
First death in Egypt
– Egypt Health Ministry confirmed the first fatality in the country as a 60-year-old German tourist who died on Sunday.
– The nation’s total number of cases stands at 55.
Saudi Arabia imposes lockdown, restricts travel
– Saudi Arabia, which confirmed a total of 15 cases, imposed a temporary lockdown on its Qatif province, where most of its cases were reported.
– The country also suspended schools and universities, and suspended travel with nine countries, including the UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait and Egypt.