Starting XI presented by Modelo: FC Dallas vs. LA Galaxy | March 9, 2019March 9, 201912:00PM PSTLAGalaxy.com
- Deep in the heart of the Texas, the LA Galaxy are away from home for the first time in 2019.
- Guillermo Barros Schelotto got his first MLS win in his first attempt last Saturday at Dignity Health Sports Park against Chicago Fire. This week, with both injuries and new additions, Schelotto will give Ema Boateng and Chris Pontius their first starts of the 2019 season, while new signing Joe Corona gets his first MLS start in the Galaxy midfield.
- Venezuelan international Rolf Feltscher will man the right side. The routine right back starter made 15 appearances in his first season with Galaxy last year, missing out on half the season due to a right shoulder injury that caused him to miss four months.
- In the center is Daniel Steres, who has made 73 appearances during his time with the club since being signed after standout seasons with LA Galaxy II. Steres scored in the Galaxy’s home opener last weekend. He’s now scored in both LA Galaxy season openers that he has played in (2016 & 2018).
- Alongside Steres is Diego Polenta, a Uruguayan International who was a standout during his time as a pro in his native country. The fiery center back also loves horses. He has a ranch in Uruguay.
- Out wide is Jorgen Skjelvik, who is on the left flank for his second straight match. Left back is Skjelvik’s natural position, although he played the entirety of last year in central defense.
- In the center of the midfielder is the Mexican international midfielder Jonathan dos Santos, one of the most talented central midfielders in MLS. In absence of Ibrahimović, Dos Santos will captain the LA Galaxy on Saturday.
- Returning from a hamstring injury to make his first start of 2019 is Sebastian Lletget. Lletget and Dos Santos found a rhythm together in the middle towards the end of 2018, and many are expecting the partnership to be even better in 2019.
- Added in the midfield mix will be Joe Corona, the 28-year-old U.S. Men’s National team veteran who was signed to the Galaxy through the use of Target Allocation Money.
- Uriel Antuna will make a second consecutive start for the Galaxy on Saturday. With great pace and impressive technical skill, Antuna seems to have the makings of a regular Galaxy starter in 2019.
- The fan-favorite, speedy Ghanaian Ema Boateng will get his first start of the season in a winger’s role on the left side. Boateng played 70 minutes last week after coming on as a first-half substitution for the injured Romain Alesandrini.
- Leading the way for the Galaxy will be Chris Pontius, an MLS veteran who put in a fine 2018 season (5 goals, 6 assists) before a groin injury prematurely ended his year. Pontius set up Zlatan’s game-winner last weekend against Chicago, with his effort off the bar rebounding to Zlatan just two minutes after Pontius was subbed on.
- Due to injury, Zlatan Ibrahimović (achilles), Perry Kitchen (foot) and Juninho (knee) did not travel with the team.
- The Galaxy were 5-7-5 on the road in 2018.
- The LA Galaxy fell 3-2 in their 2018 road trip to Toyota Stadium. Ema Boateng and Ola Kamara scored in that match for the Galaxy.
- The Galaxy also lost 3-2 at home to FC Dallas in 2018, with Zlatan Ibrahimović securing a brace in that contest.
- The Galaxy have lost in each of their last three trips to Toyota Stadium.
- LA Galaxy vs. FC Dallas all-time: 33-27-12
- @ LA Galaxy: 24-7-5 (72 GF, 38 GA)
- @ FC Dallas: 9-20-7 (52 GF, 65 GA)
- How will the Galaxy fare without Zlatan Ibrahimović?
- How will Joe Corona look in his MLS debut?
- How will Jonathan dos Santos and Sebastian Lletget pair in the midfield?
- Will we get to see another super sub appearance from Efrain Alvarez?
- Can a hobbled Galaxy side get the job done in Dallas?